[ale] Defeated by the offshoring of America....

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Apr 14 15:39:49 EDT 2003

> 	You are truly sad and I am ashamed to see an American who either denies
> or is unaware
> of the nature of his country and its moral foundations.

Funny, I don't *feel* sad nor do I share your shame - which, I submit, should
stem more from your condescending attitude than anything I say or do.

> Capitalism is a law of
> human behaviour -

Interesting and novel use of the word "law."

> people acting in their own enlightened self interests, ownership/control of
> property, voluntarily
> conducting transactions for the mutual benefit of both parties.

> It has always
> existed and will always
> exist.

Who was presuming to give whom the history lesson again?

> All other "systems" are just attempts at manipulating, denying, or
> distorting reality. Our
> country's Constitution was based on the moral concepts of John Locke and
> economic concepts of
> Adam Smith, two sides of the same coin you'll find if you ever bother to read
> them.

Condescension aside, none of this supports the assertion that America is based
on a capitalist society.  Jefferson, Franklin, et al may have derived their own
sensibilities from the likes of Smith and Locke, but that doesn't mean that
capitalism IS THE BASIS FOR the Constitution.  There is a difference between
basing a nation on capitalism and basing a nation on ideas and concepts in which
capitalism can flourish.

But all of this is beside the point.  The real point is, when does capitalism
fade into greed?  When does a CEO, CFO, or whatever decide to pursue profit at
the expense of the national good?  This only happens when corporations grow to a
size where that even becomes a possibility or if several corporations act in
concert to have the same effect.  Selling of customer data is an example of
that, as is offshore development in mass quantities.

- Jeff