[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed??

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Apr 13 20:29:03 EDT 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> nah. Your client must be borked - when I use kmail, and hit reply to
> all, it sends it to the list and the original sender. Regardless of
> the RFC - the goal is to be able to accomplish a particular task
> easily. Your email client does not allow you the option.

Uh, the RFCs define the way the tool is supposed to work, so 'regardless
of the RFC' indicates you don't understand what the RFC is.

Further, kmail is then broken.  Here's the deal.  I send email from
work, but I don't want responses to go to my work address, I want them
to go to my home address, thus I set the reply-to field to my home
address.  This is the reason for the reply-to field.  If your client
sends the response to both my work and home email address, it's done
something that the reply-to field was intended to stop from happening.

It's like when you order something online to send to your girlfriend.
The From: address is yours, for billing purposes.  The Reply-to: is your
girlfriend's address, because that's where you want the gift sent.  Now
UPS sends the gift to your address, ignoring your instructions. Don't
you look pretty in that pink nighty...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...