[ale] OT: pursuing spammers through the legal system

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Sat Apr 12 16:33:45 EDT 2003

4/11/2003 3:54:08 PM, Transam <bob at verysecurelinux.com> wrote:

>Don't waste your time even thinking about it.  All that stuff you learned
>about justice and "suing the bastards" is nonsense.  Ask anyone who
>actually has sued someone.  I speak from experience.  Install the best
>Spam filter you can find and live with the results.  If it bothers you,
>take a valium.

	Indeed I have sued and been sued (cost of doing business they say - right) and its
something not to be entered into lightly. However, a SPAM filter won't fix his problem because
people are faking "From:" headers and pretending to send from his domain. Unlike the receipt of
nominal amounts of SPAM, this kind of action can potentially result in significant damages in terms
of finance and reputation. It certainly needs some kind of action taken - whether or not that be legal
action is another issue entirely.

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey

>Regarding the "Long arm of the law", the jurisdiction of a state's laws
>ends at its borders.  This is made quite clear in the U.S. Constitution
>and has stood the test of time.

	Oh - well yes but when something crosses into a state's border, most states grab some
type of jurisdiction. Electronic communications fall in this category as I was fortunate to discover
when I was forced to take action against a company in a far off state (they quickly settled). Indeed,
when dealing with an entity that has ever done business in the state in question, most "long arm"
statutes provide for juridiction and these have been help up time and time again.