[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed??

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Sat Apr 12 16:27:17 EDT 2003

Indeed - when you reply to a posting on a mailing list - it should go to the damn list. Its pretty
obvious! There's the ever-present [ale] in the subject to remind you. Now, to help those that cannot
pay attention, I am being asked to have to make the extra effort to alter the "To:" field anytime I
want to reply onlist to a posting and keep the conversation public (which is the whole point of
having a list). That's very silly and the result will be more unresolved threads and less posting in
general. It's a VERY rare occasion that a reply intended offlist shows up on the list and not worth
the effort necessitated for the change. In fact, the embarrassment of such an act (which I myself
have experienced) should be further conditioning to cause people to pay more attention. Certainly -
if such a change is made, my actions will be my vote and I will be less inclined to participate or add
to the discussion at all... that may cause you to rethink the change or desire it even more - but there
it is.

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey