[ale] Wireless networking options?

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu Apr 10 16:05:07 EDT 2003

Since this whole wireless thingamebob seems to be such a hot topic right
now, here's a question for you all:

I've just moved into my new apartment, and I'd prefer not to wire cat5
everywhere.  I've about three or four machines I'd like to network up - my
server, my Windows machine, my MAME arcade machine.. maybe a pc in the
kitchen for recipe browsing, if I decide to get *uber* geeky.  So, I
figure that wireless is probably the best way to go.

However, a quick look around indicates that most of the wireless hubs
that're out there seem to be integrated dealies that do NAT etc.  I
already have a perfectly good Linux machine doing all of that jazz, and I
understand what it's doing reasonably well, so I'd prefer to avoid
replacing it.

So -- can anyone provide me with some guidance as to what I should be
shopping for, if I just want to connect the machines together without
doing anything too fancy?  My setup right now is pretty standard:

Linux machine with eth0->cable and eth1->hub, providing ip masquerading/nat
other machines with eth0->hub

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
--George