[ale] Wine in Nine (Red Hat, that is)

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Apr 8 18:24:49 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, John Wells wrote:

> Since wine seems to be mysteriously missing from the Red Hat 9 cds, I'm
> assuming that problems due to the new glibc go unresolved.
>
> Does anyone know differently?  Anyone have any information on where I can
> find a version to work with RH9?

I've been messing with wine on RHL 9. So far, I've found that

* crossover office 1.3.x + RHL 9 doesn't work
* LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 + crossover office 1.3.x + RHL 9 doesn't work
* wine from RHL 8.0 + RHL 9 doesn't work
* LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 + wine from RHL 8.0 + RHL 9 doesn't work
* latest wine tarball release + RHL 9 doesn't work
* LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 + latest wine tarball release + RHL 9 doesn't work
* proposed glibc errata (ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/) + latest wine
tarball release + RHL 9 works for simple apps
* proposed glibc errata (ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/) + latest wine
from cvs + RHL 9 works for more apps

You're best off sticking with RHL 8.0 or less if you need wine, but it's
starting to be usable

later,
chris