[ale] Help needed for a Non-Profit project - if not Linux thenwill go Windows

Jonathan Glass (IBB) jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 5 19:00:33 EST 2003

There is a KIOSK howto.  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kiosk-HOWTO.html

I did this on a series of PII 233 MHz laptops w/32 & 48 MB of RAM using
Redhat 7.2.  I had 2 GB harddrives, so had more room to work, but think
it should be possible to strip down a RH7.2/7.3 installer to do the bare
minimums.

The boot-to-browser is trivial, once  you've configured X...and the
RH7.2 installer seems pretty good at configuring X.

What I did to make the "Kiosk" effect was to setup the box to boot to
run-level 3, have "auto-login" login as a standard user (testuser) and
had their .Xclients file launch Netscape in full screen mode (probably
want to use Mozilla, now).  Here is my /etc/sysconfig/autologin file:

USER=tester
EXEC=/home/tester/.Xclients
AUTOLOGIN=YES

If the person killed Netscape, it killed the session, and automatically
restarts.  To avoid switching to another console, disable Alt-F2 and up
in /etc/inittab.

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
#2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
#3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
#4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
#5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
#6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

To avoid rebooting the box, reconfigure the Control-Alt-Delete trap to
do something other than reboot. (again in /etc/inittab).

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/echo "Ctl-Alt-Del doesn't work here." > /dev/null

Once you have successfully completed a bare-bones custom install on one
machine, copy the 'anaconda-ks.cfg' file, and use it to automate the
other installs via Kickstart.  If you configure X-windows during
installation, that info will be in the anaconda-ks.cfg file.  If you
setup the filesystem in a special way, that info will be in there, but
commented out.  Remove the comments to auto-magically partition the
drive.

As part of the Kickstart installation, you can specify a series of
commands to run b/f the box reboots.  Here is where you can setup the
auto-login download and installation (if you have a network connection
available) and configuration of the /~/.Xclients file.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, ask away, but I cannot promise
much.  I have two major projects going on right now, too.

Jonathan Glass