[ale] video card recommendation?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Oct 29 04:50:41 EST 2002

0. I tried installing the NVidia card. It successfully installed but failed to
render graphics correctly.
1. I went to one store and bought a Kaser 3D card (sis chipset). When I put it
in the computer, I got 3 beeps, 2 beeps. Nothing. I returned it to the store
(May be my fault for setting 4X agp in the bios and instead of 2X - not
sure).
2. I put an ATI fg18x00 in the computer that had the NVidia card installed
"correctly." A strange thing happened: I could not get SaX2 to KEEP the 3d
setting. It would not save permanently.
3. Put in the Matrox 32MB card. Same thing happened. Soooo . . .
4. Drew's Microsoft solution #1 REINSTALL :) with the ATI. 3D setting in SaX2
was saved! Next, tried to play TuxRacer. Got a black screen again! Failure?!
Tune in next time for episode 5. . ..

5. Tried playing Racer (car game that comes with Suse). It works SUCCESS!
NOTE: Proof of concept!!! I now have a 64MB 3D video card that works with no
more configuration than required per mouse movement!
6. That was done on my "test drive." I KEPT the card in and put my actual user
hard drive in (the one I try not to test on). It worked straight away because
I had NOT installed the Nvidia drivers on the drive. I have not tried UT or
Descent3, however Racer and some pool game "FooBilliard" work!!!!!!

Success! Tomorrow, I will go buy two more of the ATI fg18x00 and return the
Matrox card.

> I hope you didn't put a lot of credence in my Matrox suggestion.  My
> primary focus was that you should research it on the Xfree site.  Do let
> us know how it goes though.

7. I owe it to the list to run the test with the dual head Matrox card. I am
going to bet that Suse will pick it up immediately on test drive. I am
tempted to keep the card (dual head sounds sooo cool - but will _I_ use it,
or will it go the way of the dual nic solution I rigged up?).
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com