[ale] A use for Windows . . .

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 31 14:23:27 EST 2002

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

 > As a former commercial photographer, I can second almost all of
> Drew's complaints about Linux.  The overwhelming disconnect
> between Linux and the desktop is the lack of drivers -- especially
> USB drivers for new widgets.

And who shall we fault for this?  You can thank Microsoft.  For their
illegal monopoly and their continuous heavy handed approach to vendors.

It's not going to change unless someone makes it change.  Yeah, it's not
always an easy trip, but it will be well worth it.

Anymore, I let vendors know that I want hardware that works with Linux.
  My scanner, wacom tablet, Sony camcorder, printers, modem, firewire
card, cdwriter, video capture card, tv card, sound card, network cards,
all work with Linux.

Accept Microsoft solutions because it's easy.  That's what they want you
to do.  That's how they continue to own the market.  That's why their
software sucks and sucks big time.  I still spend more time fixing the
two windows boxes in my house then I do the 10+ linux boxes.  I do a
hell of a lot more on my boxes then any of those windows boxes and Linux
just chugs along.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---