[ale] mv files with tar??

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Wed Oct 30 14:34:52 EST 2002

I need to mv a large number of files to a designated subdirectory, with timestamps, permisisons, etc.INTACtT.

The command:  mv /mydirectory/* . where I am presetnly at the designated subdirectory yields a "too many args" error.  I am on HPUX.

I know there is a command string using tar and pipe(|) to copy the files keeping the timestamps, permisions, etc intact in the new designated directory.

I don't recall the command.  anyone got it??  It is pretty commonly used.

John

---