[ale] Wierd Linux Problem

Steven Jasmin tektronik at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 29 16:24:57 EST 2002

Heres the long and the short of it. Im a freshmen at Emory been into
computers for a long time. Finally decided to learn about linux about 2.5
years ago. I have been messing with it off and on ever since. Nothing
serious, I am normally a very utilitarian person so i learn to do what i
need to do which has slowed my linux learning down quite a bit since im not
one to just sit and fuck around with shit. Anyways i am now at the point
where i run a website, host an ftp site, have samba running and can navigate
realitively well through the linux system. I am running mandrake 8.2. The
servers main focus is storage. At the moment i have 2 60 gigs a 12 gig and a
120 gig hard drive along with a 2 gig drive that the os is on.  Everything
was running fine. I would occasionally get wierd kernel panics but nothing
that a reboot didnt solve.  All of a sudden one day the server just
completely crashed and when i rebooted i keep hanging after it tries to free
unused kernel memory.

The exact hang occurs after this line:
Freeing Unsued Kernel Memory: 260K freed

This happens on both a normal boot up and a fail safe boot up. Im
downloading 9.0 and am gonna install that just wondering if anyone has heard
of this error before. I looked over google and everything that i could find
seem to be with messed up libraries but i have no idea how they got messed
up in the first place.

Thanks for any info and help.....

Steven

---