[ale] eth1 silent - up in ifconfig, down on switch.

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Fri Oct 25 13:15:33 EDT 2002

Thanks Dana,

I am running the stock RH7.3 distribution kernel
(2.4.18-3) and i'm pretty sure it uses 1.08.03 of the
sis900.c driver.

After doing some research, it appears that others have
had some flaky stuff happen with this board/chip
combination.  I need to modprobe the driver and see if
we recognize the MAC address properly.  Given that
others have had issues it makes sense, I just don't
know why it happened all of the sudden.

thanks again,
Andrew

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, "Dana Powers" wrote:

> While this appears to be hardware related, note that
> this type of
> behaviour can be software related. I have had the
exact
> same problem
> with an onboard ethernet controller using eepro100
> compiled into
> gentoo's patched 2.4.19 linux kernel. Rebooting into a
> stock 2.4.19
> ( or .18 ) results in normal link light, pings etc.
>
> Sinse your interface was working, however, Im inclined
> to think this
> is not the same type of problem. What ethernet driver
> do you use for
> this card, and what kernel are you running, though?
>
> dpk

unlock

> > > working.
and
> > upgrade])

> (SIS
> > > network.
> switch
ports
> > on
> restarting

hardware
> > related

> they
> > > work.

PCI
> > > slot?

general

href="http://mail.directvinternet.com/jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing">http://mail.directvinternet.com/jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing</a>-
> lists.shtml"><a
> for more
> > > info. Problems should be
> > > --
> > > James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile
computing
> > > world/
> > > President and CEO      \          one Linux user
> >
> > >  /
> > > Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.
> >
> > > /
> > > 770-493-8244
> > \.___________________________./
> > >
> > > GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S.
Physics)
> > > <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> > > Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D 0659 6190
> ADC3
> > > 829C 6CA7
> >
> > Andrew Grimmke
> > Marietta, Georgia