[ale] amd processors and memory

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 23 11:04:23 EDT 2002

Andrew Grimmke wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps it was something that happened at
>>
> installation?
>
>>I think this is unlikely, as it does recognize new
>>memory has been added
>>to the slot, it just doesn't correctly recognize it.
>
> I guess I could
>
>>swap them, put the 128mb first, but I'm concerned
>
> with continuous
>
>>swapping of the sticks for just the reasons noted in
>
> this link.
>

> I know it is anecdotal, but I added a 2nd 128 MB stick
> to my k7s5a with no problems at all.

But, when you say 2nd 128mb, does that mean you have two of the same
size sticks?  This is my concern.

> I wouldn't be all that concerned about swapping out the
> sticks (putting the 128 first) just for the sake of
> troubleshooting.  That is probably one of the first
> things I would have tried.
>
> As long as you ground out before you go into the case,
> I don't think static is that big a deal here in
> Georgia, anyway.  I am sure that in northern climates
> when it's so dry in winter it can be a real problem,
> however.

I'm not so much concerned with the static issue as I do deal with that
appropriately.  As noted in a previous email link, the motherboard does
not provide substantial support around the memory slot area, so my
concern is the torque on the board.  Just the same, I'll likely attempt
to swap them once I have time.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---