[ale] tv capture card for linux?

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 20:59:07 EDT 2002

The V4L stuff is included in the stock kernel along with the bttv
drivers.  That's what I've been using for the last couple years.

Calvin...

P.S.

I use a Hauppauge Wintv FM doohicky.  It was about $100 a couple years
or so ago.  It has a built in FM radio and does stereo, even on TV.
I'm currently using it in a dvr/multimedia/game box using this frontend:

http://www.mythtv.org

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 14:43, Fulton Green wrote:
> Where's the v4l archive? That's something I'd like to follow up on.
>
> IIRC, some of the later WinTV cards are using onboard MPEG-2 compression
> specifically for PVR-like capability. Maybe that's using an unsupported
> chip ... ?
>
> And there may be a list somewhere out in Googleville that tells which WinTV
> cards have which chipset.
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:31:10PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Cory T. Echols wrote:
> > This is true with the earlier Hauppage cards, but some of the later ones
> > use an unsupported chipset.  There was a reference to this issue on the
> > v4l list just this week.
> >
> > I've got a wintv card that workes excellent but it has the earlier bt878
> > card.
> >
> > The big problem is that there's apparently no indication on the outside
> > of the box that tells you the chipset used.
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---