[ale] OT: Sun Treasoning

Bob Evans bobevans19 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 06:48:47 EDT 2002

Grant, you pointed out the bigger issue - the H1B
program, by design, stinks. For the guest workers it
amounts to indentured servitude. The only ones that
benefit arethe corporations.
My company laid me and 70 other programmers off and
went with two Indian consulting companies. They said,
flat out, the only reason for the switch was labor
costs. The Indian programmers that came here were paid
around $32K, replacing American and British developers
who got from $65k-110K. And, as you note, the foreign
workers typically work (on salary) 60-80 hours per
week.
I would disagree with you as to the "cream of the
crop" comment. The ability level varied, but I
personally worked with 18-20 developers over an 8
month period, and they were average at best.
Since hitting the bench, I've had the time to research
the subject. Hit google, and search for Norm Matloff.
Read his testimony to congress, debunking the IT labor
shortage. Hell, read this list. There are plenty of
smart programmers in the greater Atlanta area who are
on the bench. They can't get hired. Don't blame the
victims. It just doesn't make sense to me to allow
these big corporations to have all the benefits of
doing business in this country, and allow them to dump
programmers and engineers on the street in favor of
cheap foreign labor.

=====
Bob Evans                            http://carolinux.com
bobevans19 at yahoo.com                 Providing economical
704 882-6214 (w)                     computer solutions
704 562-7166 (m)                     to the Carolinas...