[ale] Question about ftp clients

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 12 13:42:01 EDT 2002

I do not think it even can transfer the remainder of the block, as FTP
programs do not access the disk in blocks, they access it in files.
Unless the filesystem is broken, when you ask for a file you should only
get that file and nothing else.  I guess someone could write the FTP
client so that it could get the inode(s) the file uses and then find
that partially used inode and transfer the remainder of what was there,
but why?

Of course I could be completely wrong ;)

Mike

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 06:28, Michael Phillips wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 05:26:06PM -0400, James P. Kinney III spake thusly:
> > Can you elaborate more on "slackspace"? Are you referring to half-used
> > blocks on the hard drive? If so, no, they do not get transferred as they
> > are a function of the file-system and formatting.
> >

> Yes, slack space being the remainder of the block. I have always understood that they did not get transferred, however I need to find some documentation that states so. So far, google has not helped with finding that information.
>
> TIA
>
> MIke

---