[ale] OT - DSL

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Jul 12 20:28:20 EDT 2002

Mike Panetta wrote:
>>Well, according to the Sales Reps Tech who was there in my meeting with
>>them, it really is voice-over-IP - he specifically said (because I
>>specifically asked) that all voice communications are packetized and sent
>>over the T-1 to their equipment, where the voice and data allocation takes
>>place.
>

> In Jameses defense, just because its packetised does not mean its IP.
> Its only IP if there is an IP address and they use the IP protocol to do
> the work.  There are many other packet protocols that are used over
> telecommunications lines that are packet based, ATM (Asynchronus
> Transfer Mode IIRC...) is the first that comes to mind.  It could just
> be a dynamic ATM (cloud I guess is the term?) between you and the CO
> switching equipment, where they allocate more or less of the bandwidth
> to voice depending on demand.  ATM is a packet switched network so this
> is a posibility I guess.  SS7 (Signaling System 7) is another
> possibility I believe.  Its also a packet switched network IIRC.

Quick note on SS7:  SS7 would never carry VoIP or any customer-to-customer data.  SS7 was originally developed with POTS in mind, and is used between Service Switch Points a.k.a. phone-switches for carrying control signals (example: call setup, management, and tear down).  SSPs also talk to STPs (SS7 gateways/relays) and SCPs (computers w/SS7 interfaces that manage call information {billing, routing, or service info}).  SS7 does follow the OSI model in design, but is not IP based.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith

---