[ale] On Databases...

Terry Lee Tucker terry at esc1.com
Fri Jul 12 15:38:44 EDT 2002

I for one am very interested in this subject. My company currently uses
a transportation application written in a proprietary 4GL for the
X-Windows platform. The database product and 4GL is made by a company
called Progress. They have a good database product but dropped support
for X-Windows a long time ago. In addition, the license fees are killing
us. We have been busy writing on own native X-Windows interface and we
will be looking at switching databases very soon. We hope to find
something in the GPL realm that will meet our needs. Here's what we must
have:

1.    Rollback recovery.
2.    Database side triggers. Quite a bit of the business logic is
presently enforced in database triggers written in Progress. We would
still want to be able to have that logic where it is albeit in a
different language.
3.    It must me relatively fast but there would only be about a hundred
connections to the database at any given time.
4.    We must have an API to our interface code (written in C).

Anybody have any input on what GPL type products would fit the bill for
us? Of course, this would need to run on Linux.

Thanks...

--
Sparta, NC 28675 USA
336.372.6812

The way I see it, David is Linux and Goliath is Micro$oft...

---