[ale] OT - DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jul 12 07:13:31 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:

>>When I talked to them about setting up a business dsl
>>line, which is required if you want a static ip, they
>>refused to commit to  guarantee ANY speed.  That's
>>right ANY.  They wouldn't even guarantee it would be
>>faster then a 56k connection.
>>

> So?  If the speed isn't there, you cancel the contract and go with someone
> else.  And if you believe these contracts can't be broken for
> non-performance, even if the contract doesn't guarantee anything, you don't
> know anything about contracts and the law.

Darn you caught me tryingto be a lawyer again... You sound like a
salesman for BS now.  'Oh yeah, cancel anytime.'  What a bloody headache
that is.  Cancel, lose your connectivity, get someone else to get you
going again, who knows when.  You'll either be paying new connectivity
or hardware costs. New IPs to deal with.  Oh yeah, it's so easy...

Yeah, cancel, it's soooo easy.

>>By the way, every dsl provider I've ever dealt with
>>has said the same thing.  Anyone have a dsl provider
>>who guarantees ANY throughput numbers?
>>

> Exactly - so, you either pay through the nose for *slower* SDSL speeds where
> you get your 'guarantee', or you take a calculated risk and go with ADSL.
> If you are close to the CO, and don't need the outbound bandwidth, it's a
> slam dunk, imho.

All I'm saying is, you're a fool if you run critical business
applications on dsl services.  Sure, if all you need is connectivity, go
for it.  But I'd not warrant sticking a web server or vpn solution on
such services.

I don't know that anyone guarantees SDSL speeds either.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---