[ale] playing DVD on 7.3

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sat Jul 6 19:52:54 EDT 2002

Ahh, but since xinetd is a package that has nothing to do with the Xine distribution,
you would be in trouble!  Good thing you posted and didn't jump in.  Xinetd
is a replacement for inetd which is the internet superserver and starts up
services such as ftp and telnet on demand as requests come in to your box.
 You don't want to delete that.

Yes, you are right about the difficulty of admin, in that knowledge of the
software on the machine is imperative when coming upon decisions like this.
 However, there isn't and probably won't ever be a way around this stuff
in any OS due to freedom of package naming conventions.  Now rpm -e the other
two packages which won't hurt anything and probably has no effects, but we
will wait for your reply. ;-)
Dow

PS.  Sorry we couldn't get that movie going in time for the hot date,  maybe
next time.

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
 cite="mid200207062023.24728.x3 at ChangingLINKS.com">
  RedHat is not making it hard, huh?
You are a pretty good sysadmin if I have ever seen one, right?
You advice? If it says that something else depends on it, rpm -e
<foo-dependant>
Hookay. Dependencies, right? The last time I tried to be a sysadmin and
understand rpms, I got hit with dependency HELL. Taking your advice:

[root at change root]# rpm -e xine*
error: package xine* is not installed
[root at change root]# rpm -qa xine*
xine-0.9.8-4
xine-devel-0.9.8-4
xinetd-2.3.4-0.8
[root at change root]# rpm -e xinetd-2.3.4-0.8
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        xinetd >= 2.1.8.9pre15 is needed by fam-2.6.7-6
        xinetd is needed by finger-server-0.17-9
        xinetd is needed by talk-server-0.17-12
        xinetd is needed by telnet-server-0.17-20
        xinetd is needed by wu-ftpd-2.6.2-5
        xinetd   is needed by amanda-client-2.4.2p2-7
        xinetd   is needed by amanda-server-2.4.2p2-7
        xinetd is needed by comsat-0.17-3
        xinetd   is needed by imap-2001a-10
        xinetd is needed by samba-swat-2.2.3a-6
        xinetd is needed by tftp-server-0.28-2
        xinetd is needed by vsftpd-1.0.1-5
[root at change root]#

RET. QUESION: What do you think will happen when I try
"[root at change root]# rpm -e <all those packages>" (/ / / / / / / / because
 the command runs past line after line)

Right. More and more dependencies until my entire OS is removed from the
computer <-exaggeration but not too far from accurate. Right. I lose packages
tha I want to keep.

7.3 would be better WITHOUT *any* Xine installed so that it can work as
smoothly as 7.2. Thus, RedHat made it "harder" to play DVDs. I gotta date in
in less than an hour - I need to play DVDs next to my bed . . . . . :) (which
is the reason for my "outrage")
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com