[ale] playing DVD on 7.3

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Jul 6 20:23:24 EDT 2002

RedHat is not making it hard, huh?
You are a pretty good sysadmin if I have ever seen one, right?
You advice? If it says that something else depends on it, rpm -e
<foo-dependant>
Hookay. Dependencies, right? The last time I tried to be a sysadmin and
understand rpms, I got hit with dependency HELL. Taking your advice:

[root at change root]# rpm -e xine*
error: package xine* is not installed
[root at change root]# rpm -qa xine*
xine-0.9.8-4
xine-devel-0.9.8-4
xinetd-2.3.4-0.8
[root at change root]# rpm -e xinetd-2.3.4-0.8
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        xinetd >= 2.1.8.9pre15 is needed by fam-2.6.7-6
        xinetd is needed by finger-server-0.17-9
        xinetd is needed by talk-server-0.17-12
        xinetd is needed by telnet-server-0.17-20
        xinetd is needed by wu-ftpd-2.6.2-5
        xinetd   is needed by amanda-client-2.4.2p2-7
        xinetd   is needed by amanda-server-2.4.2p2-7
        xinetd is needed by comsat-0.17-3
        xinetd   is needed by imap-2001a-10
        xinetd is needed by samba-swat-2.2.3a-6
        xinetd is needed by tftp-server-0.28-2
        xinetd is needed by vsftpd-1.0.1-5
[root at change root]#

RET. QUESION: What do you think will happen when I try
"[root at change root]# rpm -e <all those packages>" (/ / / / / / / / because
 the command runs past line after line)

Right. More and more dependencies until my entire OS is removed from the
computer <-exaggeration but not too far from accurate. Right. I lose packages
tha I want to keep.

7.3 would be better WITHOUT *any* Xine installed so that it can work as
smoothly as 7.2. Thus, RedHat made it "harder" to play DVDs. I gotta date in
in less than an hour - I need to play DVDs next to my bed . . . . . :) (which
is the reason for my "outrage")
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

Drew Brown