[ale] X applications in windows?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 17:38:15 EST 2002

"James P. Kinney III" wrote:

> I have used XFree/Cygwin. Cool!! Hard to set up. Reminds me of the good
> old days with slackware. Managed to compile xfce as a window manager for
> it. Got sacked before I could get it off the work box and show my
> effort. I don't have a M$ box to test on now. Woo Hoo!

There's always XFree/Cygwin under Win98 under VMWare under
Linux. For a real performance experience...

Cheers,

-- Joe

> I've seen screenshots of KDE running on it.
>
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 18:16, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> > Jason Lynn wrote:
> > >

> > > Is there an opensource replacement for Exceed (Hummingbird software)?  I
> > > would like a way to run X applications on my windows box and Exceed is
> > > the only solution I know of that will allow this.  Perhaps I am in the
> > > dark on this one....
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason
> > >

> >   Exceed never seemed to work right for me :-(  So, I turned to WRQ's Reflection X.  It works very well in its latest incarnation, but is not open source.
> >   XFree under Cygwin sounds interesting, I might have to give that a try myself.
> >
> > Lost in Tokyo,
> >   Keith
> >

> > ---
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> >
> --
> James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile computing world/
> President and COO      \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.          /

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"

---