[ale] Oracle on SuSE 7.3?

SLane at weather.com SLane at weather.com
Wed Feb 20 12:10:48 EST 2002

has anyone gotten Oracle 8.1.7 to successfully install on SuSE 7.3?

I've done dozens (literally) of installations on 7.1, am well acquainted with
the infamous glibc bug and its patch (as well as syntax errors in root.sh) but
have been completely unable to do a successful install on 7.3.  I'm consistently
able to get OUI to run and install its files but several makes (ins_precomp,
ins_plsql, ins_sqlplus, etc.) fail during the link phase which render even a
client installation unusable.

I've read a great deal on both SuSE and Oracle's (metalink) sites and have seen
numerous posts about similar problems with equal number of alleged solutions but
(again) have been completely unable to get any of them to work for me and
(again) I'm no newbie to installing/running Oracle on Linux (FWIW, Oracle +
2.4.14 => BOOM! :) so I'm going to ask a different ? of this group:

has ANYONE been able to get Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 to successfully run on SuSE 7.3,
startup an instance and mount/open a database?

if so would you be willing to share the procedure used?

thanks!

Sid Lane
DBA - Site Operations
weather.com