[ale] RAID, IDE and/or Linux

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Sat Feb 16 10:21:32 EST 2002

I'm contemplating setting up a "big file server" to act as storage for
all my "personal critical data".  This will include source control for
home projects, digital pictures, ripped CDs, digitized audio, and
perhaps even some video eventually - other stuff too, I'm sure..
 Naturally, the server will run Linux. Because of the great volume of
data that will not be replaceable, I'm contemplating a RAID solution.
 This is for "backup and reliability", rather than for "speed".  I am
not so silly to think that this server will survive the rest of my life
as is, however it is my intent that this be a place to be data I wish to
keep the rest of my life.   However, I don't want to spend "lots" of
time administrating it, or doing maintenance every week.

The question for you folks is, what experiences do you have with Linux
doing RAID, or an IDE RAID controller that I can benefit from?

One thing I'm concerned about, is what happens when 2 years down the
road, one drive fails-  First, do I find out about this failure
immediately.  Second, what if I can't find an exact replacement for the
dead drive.

There is an implied issue here.  If this data is that important to me,
I'll want to periodically make a copy for offsite.  To me, the best way
to do that these days is on another drive.  Is there a viable RAID
solution that will let me do this?  Can I have "3 equal drives", one of
which is only there occaisionally?

Thoughts and comments please.

David Corbin

---