[ale] petition

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 10:09:25 EST 2002

Chris Fowler wrote:

> The detroit approach is to build cars that last unitl the final payment.
> Then automagically begin to break.  The sweet spot is 100K miles

Hmm. I'm pushing 200K on my '94 Ranger. All I've had to do was
replace the alternator (at 25 Kmi!) and the clutch (at 180 Kmi).
I guess "every probability curve must have its far end", to quote
Terry Pratchett.

Ah, wait. I bought the extended 100Kmi warranty. The mechanic
probably mis-calibrated the entropy transducer when he
was adjusting it to account for that, thus giving me some
indefinite amount of additional vehicle life...

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"

---