[ale] bout me company

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 15 10:08:35 EST 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Irv Mullins wrote:
>

>> So if having nice certificates from these all-day donut fests will
>> increase your chances of moving up the ladder until you reach a point
>> where you can no longer do any actual damage, why not take advantage
>> of them?  (As long as someone else is paying.)  Besides, your company
>> probably has a fund set aside for training. If you don't use it,
>> they'll just blow it on greens fees for the CEO.
>>
> The question is, is it really a "fund" or is it an arbitrary "labeling"
> of money?  Think of it this way:  what would you think of the company
> that sends people to a Win2K "wizardfest" like the $5995 one I described
> earlier BUT would turn down someone who wanted to go for one of the
> computer security certs?

 From the perspective of a large company, at least in my case, it
depends on the manager.  At AT&T, it's an unwritten rule that you get 2
weeks of training a year.  At least, I've never seen it written anywhere.

My last assignment I told my manager what I was going to do for
training.  This was because she was not technical and trusted my
judgement.  During that tour, my training consisted 100% of USENIX
conferences (annual technical and security).  My current manager is
quite technically savy, but that's the way it is most everywhere in the
Labs.  During the job interview, I told him I wasn't big on
certification or sit down classes.  That I was a research/book learner
and preferred to do tech conferences for my training.  He was quite
pleased with that approach.  Grant it, I've now taken 1 week of Java sit
down training and will be in another next week, because of a shuffling
in the organization.

I also dropped him an email a while back telling I was considering
pursuing an MSCE certification.  His response, "You're kidding right?  I
really don't care what you do with YOUR money.  If you're serious, give
me a call and we'll talk about it."  So, he's open minded, but also will
let you know what he thinks. I really had no intention, but was trying
to validate my impression of him.  I have since indicated that I'm
considering returning to school to finish my MS, and that, he is all for.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---