[ale] petition

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 14 22:15:14 EST 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> The code doesn't have to be GPL. They could have a redistributon
> prohibition clause on binaries. I want to see what they are doing when
> my network shows traffic and I'm not doing anything. (kids windows box)
> I want to see how my personal data gets handled. I want to see how the
> difference between the published API and the purchased API.

I don't trust M$ either, but publishing their OS source is not going to
do near as much in eliminating the existing death grip M$ has on the market.

Making the file formats available, would do more to level the OS playing
(battle?) field.  The largest argument  The biggest stumbling block to
Linux on the desktop in businesses is the lack of any software package
to 100% properly handled these file formats.  This problem is
exacerbated by all the existing documents companies have.  Think about
it.  To move to a new OS, you have to convert the documents, train the
people on the new software packages.  It's not going to happen.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---