[ale] linux router questions

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Thu Feb 7 13:22:13 EST 2002

So then you could have each card represent two ip addresses in seperate
subnets and route between the virtual subnet? HmmmmCan you build a route
table on a virtual interface?

I am using redhat 7.2.

Thanks for your time.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    Chris Ricker
                    <kaboom at gatech       To:     ale at ale.org
                    .edu>                cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [ale] linux router questions
                    02/07/2002
                    11:42 AM
                    Please respond
                    to ale

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 sangell at nan.net wrote:

> Works great as a two station setup. Will it work to load 4 nics in one
box
> and route all the traffic internally? Is there a way to create a virtual
> lan and only use 2 NICs?

Assuming I'm following what you're doing, the simplest thing to do would be

to take one of your machines with 2 NICs, and then use virtual interfaces.

You can have an arbitrary number of virtual interfaces associated with a
single physical interface.

ifconfig eth0:0

can be used to configure them

I think you're using RH, right?  It supports /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-$DEV:#
and
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-$DEV-range# files which can be used to configure lots
of virtual interfaces.  Check out /etc/sysconfig/ifup-aliases for syntax.

Of course, it will also work to put 4 NICs into a box, assuming available
expansion slots.

later,
chris

---