[ale] POP3 was SMTP Servers

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 31 19:15:41 EST 2002

Denny Chambers wrote:
> So what do folks like in POP3 servers? I am looking at UW IMAP and Cyrus
> IMAP.

I prefer to use POPA3D. It was written by Solar Designer, who in
my opionion is one of the sharpest cats out there. From his
website:

The design goals.

Well, the goals themselves are obvious; they're probably the same for
most other POP3 servers as well.  It's their priority that differs.
For popa3d, the goals are:

1. Security (to the extent that is possible with POP3 at all, of course).
2. Reliability (again, as limited by the mailbox format and the protocol).
3. RFC compliance (slightly relaxed to work with real-world POP3 clients).
4. Performance (limited by the more important goals, above).

Obviously, just like the comments indicate, none of the goals can be met
completely, and balanced decisions need to be made.