[ale] divergent issue related to lspci, was: Re:interrupts inlinux??

Hugh Esco escocs at alltel.net
Sun Dec 29 01:30:06 EST 2002

As for the IRQ issue mentioned below, I read something pertinent on that
subject just this afternoon, I'm pretty sure in the man page for
setserial.  It specifically listed several IRQs to avoid using as they were
reserved for other purposes.

But that research eventually led me to a different issue altogether related
to the use of lspci.

A client's machine was very much less very verbose when I invoked lspci
than was the working installation on our application server.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=pci&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=stable&arch=i386

went straight from the /lib directory to the /sbin directory on page seven,
completely skipping over the /proc directory.

What routine would build /proc/bus at start-up?

-- Hugh

<client>: /proc/bus# ls -al
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x      2  root root            0  Dec 28 22:56 .
dr-xr-xr-x      22 root root            0  Dec 28 20:17 ..
<client>: /proc/bus# lspci -vvx
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
<client>: /proc/bus#