[ale] /bin/bash wierdness...

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Dec 28 22:02:52 EST 2002

Keith -

In Mandrake 9.0, there's a hidden file named ~/.bash_profile that
invokes another file, ~/.bashrc (Given your newbie status, I probably
should point out that that "~" thee refers to your own home directory
and that files whose names start with "." don't show up in ls output
unless you include the -a switch).

~/.bashrc in turn appears to invoke /etc/bashrc, which in Mandrake 9.0's
case has a line that reads

PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'

That's how the prompt gets built.

In your case, this mechanism has broken.  Perhaps you're missing one of
those files in your home directory.

- Jeff