[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Thu Dec 19 01:35:57 EST 2002

At 01:26 AM 12/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm faced with a horrid quandry -- Finding another DSL provider.

Well, after reviewing all the information y'all kindly provided, as well as
doing a lot of research, I think I'm strongly leaning towards
Speedfactory.net for several reasons:

1) Local Business
2) Come highly recommended
3) Has 1.5MB down/256k up
4) $49.95/mo (same price)
5) DirecTV DSL has stated to several customers (and I'm waiting for a
response to my mail) that we can keep our gateways.

Now should any of this change, I am thinking of using BellSouth.Net --
$19.95 for 3 months (since I'm unemployed), $45/month thereafter, Free
Gateway + $50 rebate ... It's a damn good offer (best on the market), and
my Siemens hardware router can handle PPPoE -- So unless there's an
appreciable loss of speed (I tweak all of my machines), I can't see a real
negative except for the DHCP aspect.  (Which, while annoying, I could
compensate for by remotely hosting my Shoutcast stream)

Any final thoughts?  I've really appreciated all the feedback.

Cheers!
Jay