[ale] multiple ips, ensim and Apache....

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Dec 18 09:10:39 EST 2002

I do occasional contract work for a hosting company out of Nevada that
uses Ensim's Webppliance to manage their services.

Last night, I had to setup an IP-based virtual hosting account through the
Ensim interface.  Everything worked smoothly, and I could ping the IP
afterwards.

However, I decided to explore a bit and see how ensim was implementing the
IPs.  The box has only one NIC, so I assumed they were using virtual
interfaces (a la eth0:0, etc.).

I logged into the box as root, verified that the account's chrooted
filesystem was indeed created, and did an ifconfig -a . . . but no virtual
interfaces.

My impression was that with Apache, the only way to do IP-based virtual
hosting was either with virtual interfaces or multiple nics.  Am I wrong
here, or is Webppliance cleverly hiding something from me?

Thanks for the help.

John