[ale] OT: H1B

ahuitzot at mindspring.com ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 17 16:11:07 EST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:30:46 -0500 "Mazukna, Thomas"
<Thomas.Mazukna at delta.com> wrote:

> then you have to sell that BMW and go work for
> 40k/y as H1B does or find
> another field.

Tell that to someone that lives in California, or Boston (or one of the many
other locations that have very high costs of living) and they will shoot you.
I used to live in California and I know for a FACT that its damn near
impossible to live on $40K a year there.  Hell I moved back to Atlanta exactly
for that reason,  I lost my job, and the unemployment check would have not
even been able to pay rent! (I actually would have been  over $500 in the hole
after rent, that would have left me NEGITIVE $500 to pay bills and buy food.)
The above asertion is rediculous for just that reason.

I do not have a BMW (nor could I ever afford one)  I have a honda civic.  What
should I have in your opinion?  Maybe a pinto?  What car do you drive?  (The
H1B's at my previous job had brand new BMW's)

I do now have a job (after nearly a year of searching) and I took a VERY LARGE
pay cut to get it too.  It what I get payed keeps me fed, but I will tell you
I am not by any means helping the economy by going out and buying things that
I used to.

> everybody is affected by economy downturn, and
> everybody have to change.

And if we change in such a way that we no longer can spend what we used to be
able to spend (because we cannot get a job that pays like it used to) the
economy will never return to its old level.  Its just not possible.

> IT market was oversaturated by people who
> finish 3 month VB course and call
> themselves software developer. I do not see any
> threat to people with good
> skills and broad skill set college degree and
> experience.

Heh, tell that to my Dad.  He was in the telecom industry (rest its soul), and
has not been able to get a job since he was layed off.  The telecom industry
is practicly non existant now.

> US is like a gold mine for people from less
> fortunate countries. This is a
> land of opportunities, do not be afraid to take
> them. I would have stayed
> back home if I had a decent life there.
> What I see is that immigrants/H1bs and even
> illegals put in 150% effort,
> hard work look for opportunities and succeed in
> creating a better life for
> themselves.

I resent that.  For as long as I have worked, and at every job I worked at, I
constantly work 9 and 10 hr days.  The H1B's at my office usually left right
at 5:00 unless my boss threatened them.  Dont get me wrong, they were good
guys (one of them stayed as long as I did usually) but they only put in the
minimum required amount of effort.

> Some citizens on the other hand whine and try
> to blame everything on someone
> else. Get your ass of the couch and do
> something. people get spoiled so
> fast.

Its not a question of being spoiled, its a question of keeping the same
standard of living as we used to have(or even close to it).  Before the
downturn, I lived in a somewhat nice appartment in California, and could get
toys when I wanted to (read I could boost the economy by buying things I
really did not need).  Now me and my family live with my parents here in Ga.
I am glad I have them, or I would be out on the street now.  I am still
recovering from not having a job for 9+ months.  Its a slow recovery, but I
hope to be out on my own again.

> I am not judging anybody, this is just a
> tendency I see here.

Looks like you have judged to me.  You juged me and all the others with
similar point of views as "whiners".  I do not like that very much.

> Tomas

Mike