[ale] Permissions on /dev/dsp?

msmith at mikeandmel.com msmith at mikeandmel.com
Mon Dec 16 11:39:46 EST 2002

I was having this problem whenever I ran
VNCServer(/etc/initd/vncserver start).  I simply shut
down VNCServer and I didn't get the error anymore.  I
didn't investigate it any further but I guess that VNC
grabbed control of the device....

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:37:21 -0800 (PST), Ryan Neily
wrote:

> I have a RedHat 8.0 box that also has a cheapo sound
> card installed in it.
> I am trying to allow my "users" to be able to play
> sounds through the
> /dev/dsp device, however every couple of days, the
> permissions on the
> /dev/dsp device are changed so that only root has
> access.
>
> I have a feeling this has something to do with the
> sound module
> "auto-cleaning" and removing itself from memory when
> the sound card is not
> used.  When sound is played, the module is then
> reloaded, and the
> permissions are set so that only root can access the
> /dev/dsp device.
>
> Is there a simple "clean" workaround for this?  I'm
> currently chroning a
> job nightly to change the permisions back, but how
ugly
> is that?
>
> --
> Ryan Neily
> ryan at neily.net
>
> Random Quote:
> Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of
> APL, I shall fear no
> evil, for I can string six primitive monadic and
dyadic
> operators together.
> 		-- Steve Higgins

Michael Smith