[ale] Permissions on /dev/dsp?

Ryan Neily ryan at neily.net
Mon Dec 16 11:30:10 EST 2002

I have a RedHat 8.0 box that also has a cheapo sound card installed in it.
I am trying to allow my "users" to be able to play sounds through the
/dev/dsp device, however every couple of days, the permissions on the
/dev/dsp device are changed so that only root has access.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the sound module
"auto-cleaning" and removing itself from memory when the sound card is not
used.  When sound is played, the module is then reloaded, and the
permissions are set so that only root can access the /dev/dsp device.

Is there a simple "clean" workaround for this?  I'm currently chroning a
job nightly to change the permisions back, but how ugly is that?

--
Ryan Neily
ryan at neily.net

Random Quote:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of APL, I shall fear no
evil, for I can string six primitive monadic and dyadic operators together.
		-- Steve Higgins