[ale] (REDHAT 7.3) Kickstart/custom image help anyone?

J. Cary Howell chowell at xilogix.com
Thu Dec 12 11:45:40 EST 2002

Looking for some ideas and help.

I am bringing new machines up using kickstart via net booting and I have
the new Asus A7N66-VM/LAN motherboards that have the all-inclusive
nVidia chipset.  I downloaded the rpm from nVidia and building from
kernel 2.4.18-3.

I have manually built one machine to confirm that the 2.4.18-3 kernel
and the nvidia drivers for 2.4.18-3 are compatible with each other. This
test machine works just fine.

In the kickstart howerver, since it's network booting, I had to modify
the initrd.img  --

I modified initrd.img to include the new driver (nvnet.o), added the
pci-id (0x10de:0x01c3) to the pcitable, made the appropriate changes in
the moduels.dep, etc., and gzipped the initrd. back and put it into the
kickstart /tftpboot/ hierarchy.

Here are the problems:

1) when the machine is kickstarted, it stops and asks what driver to
load, seeming like the pci-id info in the pcitable is not correct, but I
gathered this information using the lspci tool.

2) More important than #1, is that after I select the nvnet module to
load, it comes up with a number of unresolved symbols.  It is a NON-GPL
driver, however, a source RPM is distributed, but I have no sources to
2.4.18-3BOOT so I'm not sure where to go from here.

I look forward to any help.  If more information is needed, please ask.

Regards,

--
Cary