[ale] Mandrake can't network

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Dec 12 11:39:54 EST 2002

A very strange thing happened to me yesterday.  I decided the time was ripe
to upgrade my office desktop, and since I am a big Mandrake fan I decided
to install Mandrake 9.0.  The installation went as expected with no
problems until it tried to connect to the network.  It failed.

Since the computer had networked only an hour earlier I knew it wasn't the
built in ehternet (rt8139 chipset).  I tried a PCI intell etherpro100
card, too, and that failed the same way.

Finally, I gave up and installed RedHat 8 which means I spend all morning
getting rid of bluecurve.  I'd really rather have mandrake, but why can't
it network?  It works fine at hoem, and I find it hard to beleive that
they would ship a CD (downloaded) with completely broken networking.

Anyone else ever see this?

Michael