[ale] more/grep truncates piped results

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Dec 4 15:16:51 EST 2002

    John> If I run ps -ef by itself, I get full command line returned.
    John> However, if I pipe it through more or grep, the output is
    John> truncated and only shows approx. 32 characters of the
    John> command.

    John> Is there a way to set more and grep's output width so I can
    John> modify this behavior?

It's not more and grep, it's ps itself truncating the output (probably
assuming a width of 80 columns if its output is a pipe).  Try
something along the lines of this (presuming a Bourney shell of some
description, of course):

COLUMNS=120 ps -ef | grep foooble

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=