[ale] RedHat 8.0 praise

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 2 17:21:11 EST 2002

I have noticed Bluecurve/Gnome/X eat up __TONS__ of RAM. Taking
a look at X, I see 58MB of total resident memory. If you subtract
off 12MB of shared memory pages, that leaves 46MB of RAM allocated
to the process. I do open a lot of windows, but that seems somewhat
excessive for a a server that controls your hardware and mouse
interactions. I am amazed going through the address space how many
libraries GTK+ apps use. Yikes!

- Ryan

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 15:52, sangell at nan.net wrote:

> Well, and I can't believe I am about to say this as I have been a big
> RedHat Supporter, I am probably the most unhappy with a RedHat release at
> 8.0 as with any release they have ever had. I have had some issues with the
> main thing I now use RedHat for and that is Dedicated Gaming servers. I was
> also not impressed with the fact that a custom install was much more, IMHO,
> "restricted". I like to trim the intstalls down to the bare minimum
> packages needed to run the apps I will add after intstall and it seemed to
> me that this was a little more compicated than with 7.3. Now with regards
> to a desktop environment, I will admit that the look is pleasing and the
> ability to find apps is more intuitive. However for my servers I am going
> back to 7.3 for now and just patch the apps I need up to current status.
> Also I have noticed that CPU utilization is higher on systems running
> comparable services with 8.0 vs 7.3 and I have already had one 8.0 system
> die, not sure yet what exactly went wrong as I have not picked the box up
> yet. Maybe OS related maybe not, the system will cease to provide any
> services but you can ping the Ethernet interface. Hmmmm. Anyway, I am sure
> in a lot of ways it is a great release, but I have had some issues with it
> and I normally love each release as it has become available.
>

> \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> \_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
> \_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
> \_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
> \_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
> \_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
> \_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/
> \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>

>                       "Matthew Brown"
>                       <matthew.brown at co        To:       <ale at ale.org>
>                       rdata.com>               cc:
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  [ale] RedHat 8.0 praise
>                       ale-admin at ale.org
>

>                       12/02/2002 03:08
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       ale
>

> Eric Anderson talked me into getting RH 8.0 and loading it.  Wow!  This is
> really nice stuff.  The UI is very unified, clean and understandable, for
> the first time I think.  We have achieved desktop readiness - now for those
> droves of end-user apps!
>
> Hope you're having a great day!
>
> Best regards,
> Matthew Brown, President
> CorData, Inc.
> O: (770) 795-0089
> F: (404) 806-4855
> E: matthew.brown at cordata.com

Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210