Compelling Games (was Re: [ale] OT: ugh, nasty decision)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Dec 2 09:15:50 EST 2002

A serious question I have, though, is where are the compelling and
interesting games?

I have not dealt with game consoles since the Atari 5200.  But, when
I've seen people play modern console games, I've been very unimpressed
with what I've seen once I've looked past the graphics themselves.  I've
noticed a tendency where the representation of "you" in the game is more
complex than you could possibly control with just a few buttons, and so
the game provides the complex control *for* you while you provide coarse
input through the controller.  I noticed this in some kind of BMX game -
the turns and flips were but eye candy; the player was only supplying a
crude level of control.

I have a nephew who will play Grand Theft Auto endlessly, and I've
noticed that 1) how well or poorly you control the car didn't really
seem to matter 2) there doesn't seem to be any long-term or even
medium-term objective to the game (the accumulation of "points" isn't
really something I find all that interesting or desirable) 3) the
conditions of play never seem to change.

I have always shown more interest in games that require analog control -
driving/flight sims, for example - or games that give you the latitude
to cause or interact with unexpected conditions.  I've wished that there
would be a video game that would let you experience some of what Aldrin
and Armstrong experienced during the first Moon landing.

I appreciate dead-accurate driving sims.  They had some sort of
three-screen Ferrari simulator at Dave and Buster's that I liked,
although what I miss about that is having any kind of G-force feedback,
even if it were just things pushing against my legs or some such.  It
always screws me up to feel nothing when I turn.