[ale] Favorite distros

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Aug 26 23:55:11 EDT 2002

What?

http://www.linuxpackages.net

> compiling from source is nearly impossible

I run ./configure ; make ; checkinstall on hundreds of things under
Slackware with absolutely no problems. Where are you getting your
information?

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Thus Spake byron at cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff):
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:14:09 -0400 (EDT)

> > Well, I don't know much about Slackware at all, but I hope its package
> > management is a little better than gentoo's seems to be.
>
> Nope. Not even close. The brilliance in Slack's package management
> scheme is in the fact that there really isn't one. This makes it simple
> for self contained packages. However that's not how the Linux world
> works much anymore. The real problem in package management is
> dependencies, because nearly every package depends on some subsystem or
> library or tool in order to work. Slack is a total loss here because
> almost no one builds precompiled Slack packages anymore and compiling
> from source is nearly impossible because you are obligated to track any
> library or tool dependency by hand.
>
> Gentoo has all of those facilities in spades. A perfect example is what
> I'm compiling now: OpenOffice. Right in the middle of the install it
> stops and tells me that OpenOffice is dependant on the gcc-3.0 compiler
> which I do not have installed. Under Slack that would have been a
> showstopper. But with gentoo I simply tell it to build the compiler and
> off it goes downloading, configuring, compiling and installing the
> compiler and all of its dependencies without any input from me
> whatsoever.
>
> > I would have
> > thought that with everyone else having something to handle this that
> > the gentoo folks would have been able to just pick up one of the good
> > ones.
>
> While Gentoo has its flaws, which I described in an earlier post, I'm
> really pleasantly surprised with it so far. I've rebuilt in a couple of
> days what took me several months to cobble together on my Slackware 7.1
> box. I had a time getting Ogle, mplayer, openoffice, and zine to run on
> my Slack box. A few emerges later and everything is already up on
> Gentoo.
>
> It's no comparison.
>
> BAJ
>
> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---