[ale] Favorite distros

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Aug 26 23:51:28 EDT 2002

Ehh, are you doing an untar and stuff on Slackware .tgz files? You know
you can just do installpkg thing.tgz? (At least, if it's not source. I've
almost never come across source bundled as a .tgz.)

tar -zxvf, ./configure, make, and make install are usually better reserved
for those things that come as source in a .tar.gz.

Thus Spake "Joseph A. Knapka" <jknapka at earthlink.net>:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:53:13 -0600

> Matthew Brown wrote:
> >
> > Well, I don't know much about Slackware at all, but I hope its package
> > management is a little better than gentoo's seems to be.  I would have
> > thought that with everyone else having something to handle this that
> > the gentoo folks would have been able to just pick up one of the good
> > ones.
>
> Slack doesn't have much package management to speak of.
> It's more of a "tar xf thing.tgz ; cd thing ; ./configure
> ; make ; make install" kind of distro :-)
>
> --
>   "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
>    sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
>    the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me
>
> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---