[ale] Re: [OT] [long] [ale] guess I am screwed, eh?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Aug 25 09:56:42 EDT 2002

Tom Wiencko wrote:
> Depending on what you want to do with the rest of your life, you
> may want to consider changing majors.

I don't know that you should change your major.  Study what you like.
If you want to do computers, a CS is certainly not going to hurt you.
These days, neither will a BS in Math or Physics for that matter.  Point
being, to get hired for 'computer' work, you'll be expected to have some
kind of technical degree.

Speaking from the perspective of my employer (AT&T), to get hired and/or
promoted, you'll be expected to have a technical degree.  That would
include virtually any degree in science (including Biology or
Chemestry).  Oh, and such a degree from MIT will still carry a lot more
weight then one from DeVry.  GA Tech is a well respected institution as
well, so you've got a lot going for you there.  Companies do still look
at the institution as well as the educational background.

Although I have a BS n CS, I'll have to agree with Tom that the best
programmers I've met were not CS majors.  As a matter of fact, the worst
programmer I've ever had to work with had a CS in BS and graduated at
the top of his class.  Regardless, I've know some bang up software dudes
and dudettes who did have CS education.  I don't think there's a
corrolation there.

Again, heed the advice of those who have suggested you study something
you like.  I started in EE, then Math, then CS.  I ended up with a BS in
CS, a minor in Physics as well as a minor in Math (courtesy of changing
majors so many times).  For me, the common link there is Math.  I love
it.  I thoroughly enjoyed Calculus, Differential Equations and
Multidimensional Calc.  I loved my Senior level Physics classes, inspite
of the burden the put on my (at the time I was working full time and
trying to finish up my education).

Now that I think about it, the things that are a part of me that make me
good at what I do are an enjoyment in figuring out how things work and
solving complex problems.  And I do think I'm good at what I do.  No,
I'm not Larry Wall, or David Dikstra, but I've apparently done something
right to be still in this business and fortunately paid more then I
should be.

The bottom line is, I certainly wouldn't change my major because some
schmuck in some rag says it's not valuable.  I still maintain the guy is
an idiot.  You will find that as you move up the corporate ladder you
will find yourself in a position where you'll need to get into dealing
with some management issues in order to continue.  As for me, I've no
interest there, so I've made a conscious decision to stay purely
technical.  I'm fortunate in that I am in the one organization in AT&T
(AT&T labs) where I do have an avenue to move further up the ladder and
stay purely technical.  That would be in Research, but the ladder is
narrow, and you've got to be a Larry Wall or David Dikstra to do so.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---