[ale] More Gnome/KDE bickering

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Aug 25 09:11:03 EDT 2002

Yep. That was what I was reading as well. To RedHat's defense (I'm
downloading the beta as soon as I have the space to park it) making
a"common ground" out of the two desktops seems like a wise move on the
part of the largest Linux distributor. Yes it will make some
functionality in KDE not as slick. But kmail and konqueror are shipping.
RedHat changed the default settings to use evolution and mozilla.
Evolution is a much more capable mail client than kmail. Mozilla vs.
Konqueror? The flash plugin still doesn't work under Konqueror. And many
of the desktop users for RedHat are going to yell if they get to a flash
site and it won't work.

It _is_ open source licensed stuff. It's not like anyone claimed it to
be their own and didn't release the source code. They changed the
default config files. Any one can change the config files to what they
want. I hope there are good instructions on how to do this. It is
something lacking in the standard Gnome (and Ximian as well) that is
problematic.

Besides, did RMS suggest that there should be a "standard Linux theme
shared between both Gnome and KDE"? (Now I can't find the link. I think
it was another Slashdot article about rumored KDE/Gnome joint
work/merger/shared code base).

At any rate, I like the some of the icons I saw. As time progress, Linux
just look slicker and slicker.

On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 08:31, Jim wrote:

> stick their branding everywhere. The KDE variant that RedHat wants to ship
> will be missing Kmail and Konqueror and instead run Evolution and Mozilla.
> This not only breaks interoperability, it will force users to load into
> memory all of the libraries needed to run Gnome and KDE. From what I gather,
> some of the Gnome people are just as pissed as the KDE people are about this.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part