[ale] Running Windows programs on Linux (with sound support)

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Aug 24 21:44:32 EDT 2002

They had to make the decisions at the time based on what info they had.
This is a brand spanking new program, so they're really working out the
kinks.  I spoke with them the first day and it turns out a few of the
faculty (and students) are linux heads.  The program director is also a
big linux guy and has taught courses on it in the past.

I spoke with the director the first day and he's open to switching to
alternatives next semester, but I still need the Power Point/IE support
this semester.

That being said, I'll take any suggestions from you guys to him.  We're
currently using two programs...Tegrity and Interwise.  I think they
really only need something that provides video, audio, slides, 2-way
communication, and text chat.  Something that works well on both
platforms will probably fly.  However, I think we need a real solution,
not a hack (unless it's a very creative one ;)).

John

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 21:26, Geoffrey wrote:
> I think it's rediculous that at that level, the define the tools you'll
> use.  You should be able to do what ever is necessary without supporting
> a convicted criminal (M$).
>
> John Wells wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I start class Monday for a remote masters degree at Kennesaw, and one of
> > the requirements is to have a pc headset with a microphone (for
> > interaction during class).
> >
> > Unfortunately, one of the pieces of software they use requires IE and
> > Powerpoint.  I have Win4Lin 3.0, so I thought I had this covered.  Got
> > my pc headset in from Amazon this morning and plugged it up, only to
> > find Win4Lin 3 doesn't support sound input...only output.
> >
> > So, was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  I really don't want to have
> > to go back to a dual boot.  If anyone out there is using Win4lin *4.0*,
> > or Codeweavers' Crossover Office, could you check if sound recording is
> > supported under either?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > John
> >

> > ---
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?

---