[ale] home networking difficulties

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 22 09:40:20 EDT 2002

You might try networking the Linux box to itself.  That is, set the two
nics to be in the same subnet and connect them both to the hub.  This
way you might reduce the possible issues substantially.  From that
point, you could verify the cables/cards are functional.  Is it
possible, the win box and linux box are trying to talk different speeds?
  (one 10 the other 100).  I'm grasping now (or gasping??).

Further comments below.

Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> 1.  The hardware is working, at least to some degree.
> arp apprear to work fine (according to the tcpdump and
> windump outputs), it's icmp that is not working.

I don't know that we can say this definitely just yet.  I would have
expected that once you shutdown the firewalls on both machines that you
should have been able to either telnet or ping from one to the other in
at least one direction.

> 2. I have sent and recieved icmp packets from the linux
> box in the past.  So, although I initially thought that
> maybe linux was blocking ping responses, I am thinking
> that's a long shot now.

Agreed, since you did turn off the firewall and make the same attempt.

> 3. I have had trouble with icmp on the windows box
> before.  I remembered this recently.  When I first got
> broadband (and was only running windows) I tried to get
> a friend to ping me with no luck.  I can ping myself
> (192.168.1.2) internally, however.

But pinging yourself more then likely goes the local loop (127.0.0.1) so
it never touches the nic, wire, or that subnet.

> 4. The Windows firewall is off.  Although it is still
> installed, I have removed it from the startup routine.

I guess you could uninstall it to insure they're not trying to 'protect
you from yourself' which seems to be a common thread through windows
software.

> I am starting to think this is a Windows problem.  Like
> some kind of "stealth mode" where it ignores icmp
> packets.  I could find nothing about this on the net,
> unfortunately.  And of course this is just a hypothesis.

See note above. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---