[ale] Linux the $400 Operating System

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 21 15:29:52 EDT 2002

Or even more appropriate:

A friend gives you a car. You don't know how to drive it and promptly
run into a tree. It costs you $400 to fix the damage. Should you be mad
at the friend for giving you the car, mad at the mechanic who fixed it
for, or mad at driving it with out knowing enough about the controls, or
just bummed about the $400 no longer in the wallet.

Over the years, I would estimate that I have spent (based on my earning
rate at the time) at least $250,000 of my time "doing things" on my
linux box(es). I consider the time spent a valuable investment.  I have
purchased "official" distributions from all of the top 6 at least once.

I have even , as root, in /, run "rm -rf *", and watched in complete
shock and horror as my months of work getting X timings perfect for my
card/monitor combo vanished with a bozo keystroke (thought I was in
/tmp)(X was HARD in 1994!).

I guess everyone is different.