[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Aug 21 15:29:17 EDT 2002

Actually, there would have to be a good amount of propagandizing, etc - I
certainly did not suggest that the computers just be switched with no
explanation other than a 'tough - learn it'.

> My point is, users/employees/people who think they
> are being used and/or abused frequently will rebel.

What make you think they would feel 'used and abused' just because
management decided to make some changes that would:

a) Provide a much more secure internal network,

b) Save a ton of money long-term in maintenance costs, and

c) Save a ton of money on licene costs.

It would be one thing if the tools were crippled, but they are not.

I personally have seen 6 or 7 people who were forced to use OpenOffice.org -
they screamed for all of an hour.  Whne I talked with them a couple of days
later, they were fine with it.

> It usually is subtle, often amplifying normal human
> difficulties, and over time it will be expensive.

Sure, it could, under the worst circumstances - but what I am saying is, if
it is handled right, this kind of childish behavior can be minimized, and
when it does surface, the child can be sent packing - and good riddance,
they were probably playing Solitaire while the boss wasn't looking.

> Sure you can document the loss of productivity, fire the
> individual, and spend the money to hire a replacement,
> train them etc. For a few percent of your people, the
> trade may be economically feasable or even desireable.
> Do similar damage to the majority of the organization
> by giving them what they feel is a downgrade, and
> everyone will find out you have an unhappy office.

Sorry - I have done tech support for a while too, and many of those 'happy
people' are happy because they have a cush job that they *might* contribute
4 of their 8 hours actually working - the rest of the time, they are
playing, either on their computer, reading a book, or cutting up with each
other.

I am not saying people shouldn't be allowed to interact - but they should
limit it to work-related things.  They are, after all, on someone else's
dime.

Charles

---