[ale] great digital camera?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Aug 18 13:43:44 EDT 2002

Well, I've been quite happy with both of the Sony's I own. The Mavecia is
a couple years old, and puts the images on floppy. In my normal setup, I
get 9-11 images at1024x768 and "normal" jpeg compression for each floppy.
The 1.3 megapixel image sensor will support some digital zoom but don't
push it. (Optical zoom is fine - and Sonys all seem to have pretty good
optics.) Downsides for this camera a lack of an optical view finder (just
a lcd screen), some weight issues, and the battery appetite (rechargable
Sony lithiums). The other camera is another 1.3megapixel Sony, one of the
DSC line. Images go to a memory stick, and the camera can be seen by linux
as an USB disk drive. My daughter got just under 700 images on a 128 meg
memory stick on a trip to Europe this summer, and had a dribble or two of
room left. The down side to the DSC camera for me is the size of the icons
- even with my glasses on I have trouble seeing some of them.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> I am looking for a good digital camera that is compatible with Linux. I guess
> my resolution should be 800x600. I just want to take snapshots - like a 35mm
> camera or disposable camera would. Can anyone recommend a nice camera?

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ingnorance
                   Author Unknown